Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pillars of NPH #2

Hello Everyone!

I just had my two-month anniversary in Nicaragua this past Saturday and cannot believe it has already been two full months!

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I will continue describing each of the 4 pillars of the NPH philosophy. Today I will talk about the topic most relevant to my work: education. Many of us have been taught in the US that there is no better key to a good future than a good education and Father Wasson was in complete agreement. Yes, all of these kids have been dealt a rough hand in life, but they have also been given the secret to turning it into a winning hand: a mind of their own.

In order to secure each of the children a solid education and chance at a bright future, NPH runs its own school in each one of the international homes. They are technically private but other local children can attend at a small (merely symbolic) cost, which means that NPH serves  many more than just the children who live here. Although our school is one of the best in the country, compared to a school in the States, it is still quite a shock (as I have already mentioned). What is really great about NPH is that rather than come in and try to change the system here and input all of our ideas about education, they work with the local system. It would be easy for me to say that the current education system is broken and ineffective but that would be a lie. Before I can judge how classes are here, I must first understand the system in the country and how teachers are trained, the local pedagogy and the manner in which students are taught to learn. NPH hires mostly local teachers (I am the only foreigner) and is beginning to train them in different teaching styles in order to help them with finding success in the classroom. However, education does not only occur in the classroom and everyone here supports the students outside of class with homework, projects or finding books to read in our library (can you believe we have a library??!?!?).

Along the lines of education, I am pleased to announce my classes have definitely been improving in the past few weeks.  I decided to alter my approach to teaching and focus on more student involvement, more games, more activities and more speaking. In the end, more fun. Because in the end of the day, you learn when you’re having fun, right? So whether it means making giant flashcards for every new word and racing through them as a class, pulling out a ball and playing catch or singing “Head Shoulders Knees and Toes” when we get bored, I’m trying it! I have had less disciplinary problems and feel less exhausted after teaching all morning so I think it’s working!

As for what is going on in the house…I finally introduced Ultimate to the home! On Independence Day the volunteers organized a massive scavenger hunt for all of the kids. Each volunteer was responsible for running one “prueba” or challenge that each team had to complete in order to get another clue. Obviously, I pulled out my discs and designed mine around passing down a field. I had to teach quite a few frustrated kids but at the end most of them managed more or less. One of the girls even came back to play with me later! Here are some pictures of her throwing the disc (check out her form!). 


I will shamelessly admit that I am trying to spread the Ultimate bug and hope they all catch it so I can share the wonderful game. (And-selfishly-so that I have someone to throw with.)

Last but not least, the food of the week…. “Vigoron”

Vigoron is a dish that has yucca, beef and a salad (shredded cabbage, carrots, chili peppers and other vegetables) wrapped in a plantain leaf. It is a very common street food that you can find in almost any park, especially around dinnertime. Well as I was waiting for a bus back to the home this weekend, I happened to sit down next to a vigoron vendor. I was not planning on eating but couldn’t resist the alluring smells. So I bought one and enjoyed every last bite of it. I still haven’t gotten used to the culture of eating by hand so the “Handi” tool I got for my birthday came in handy!! Check out for yourself…
And here I am at the beach relaxing a bit and climbing the surrounding hills on my weekend off...



No comments:

Post a Comment