Friday, September 19, 2014

Philosophy 101 (1/4)

Buenos dias!

In the past month I have (hopefully) answered your questions about where in the world I went (NOT the middle of the jungle), what I am doing (NOT running from the real world) and what kids have stolen my heart (all of them). However, many of you are probably still wondering how this “orphanage” works, the values the kids are taught and the general philosophy by which NPH is run. So for the next few blog entries I will be talking about the philosophy behind NPH international, which includes all of the homes (9 in total).
[Also, a side note, just like orphanage has been phased out of English it is also no longer used here. The more loving term is  “casa hogar” which roughly translates to “group home”.]
When Father William Wasson founded the first NPH home in Mexico in 1954 founded it on 4 pillars: Education, Love, Respect and Work. Each one of these aspects has a scriptural basis and is founded in the Catholic character of the home. Everyone here at NPH knows these pillars by heart and it is easy to seem them reflected in the everyday life here.
This week I want to focus on work and how all of the children here are taught the value of hard work from a young age. Why don’t you take a look at their typical weekday for yourself…

5:00 am-Wake up. Do chores and wash pajamas and clothes from yesterday.
6:30 am-Breakfast then off to school.
7:00-12:30 School.
1:00 pm- Lunch
1:30-4:00 pm- Homework, chores, wash uniforms and possible work in the fields.
4:00-6:00 pm- Free time, usually spent going on leisurely walks to pick fruit or playing soccer in one of the many fields. 
6:30-7:00 pm- Dinner, chores, iron uniforms for the next day and relax with the rest of the time.
8:00 pm- Bedtime. “A dormir y soñar con los angeles”

Even the littlest boys (as young as 5 years old) have daily chores, which they must complete three times a day. The most common chore is “trapear 5 veces” or mop the floors of the common area five times. Although I originally thought mopping the floors a total of 15 times a day was crazy, I have learned that in a house with 15 boys running all around it does make sense. About 2 days a week everyone is also called to work in the fields after lunch for an hour or two, helping collect the food that we eat. These jobs range from collecting rice, weeding onion gardens, tilling the soil and “macheteando” (macheteing)- the Nica way to mow the lawn. I am learning now that my childhood chore of vacuuming the house was nothing in comparison to what these kids know.
The children also get rewarded for all of this hard work. Each child is given enough clothing and shoes but if they want a new or special pair of shoes they also have the option of working extra. For example, the boys of my house wanted new sneakers so they worked in cleaning up a garden for a few days and were then given colorful new sneakers. For a sneaker fanatic, I could understand their overwhelming excitement to try them on!
All the children here have faced tough situations, one way or another. But with this commitment to work, they learn that they have the power and capacity to change their situation (to a certain degree). They learn to take responsibility for the cleanliness of their own home. They learn that even though they may be small, they can work just as hard and make as much of a difference as an older kid. For me, this is crucial for any child’s self-confidence and self-worth, and I am proud to be a part of it.
So that’s our lesson for the day!
Here are a few pictures of them enjoying powdered milk…


Now for a bit on my recent travels…

On my weekend off last week I ventured to the nearby city of Granada with Beatriz, another new volunteer. Monday was Independence Day for all of Central America from Spain so on Sunday we were able to watch a parade march through the town square. Every school in the city marched in the parade and many of them had their own bands. A few of the bands were truly amazing and a pleasure to watch. Not only did they have an awesome beat but the kids had the perfect attitude to go with it…

And I couldn’t help but record the only hipster glasses I have seen since I got here. I LOVED them…

I ended up hiding in the shade to avoid another sunburn and came across this man who had taken his grandson to watch the parade. I couldn’t help to take a few candid pictures after they asked for a picture…



And last but not least, my weekly food update...

After wandering around Granada all weekend, Beatriz and I found a great Canadian bakery for breakfast on Monday. I indulged in an apple cinnamon crumb cake and LOVED it. I know its not Nica food but I was feeling a bit homesick and this just hit the spot!


No comments:

Post a Comment