Monday, August 25, 2014

Study Time!

Happy Monday!
I finally slipped up and broke my goal of a post a week; it can get so busy down here! I hope I didn’t keep anyone holding their breath too long! This past week was exams week for all of the kids, from primary to secondary. So from students, to teachers to tias we were all busy making sure the kids were as prepared as they could be.
After teaching for two full weeks I am getting into the swing of things and was excited to see how all of my students performed on their exams. Along with a local teacher, I teach grades 2-6 as well as multi-grade in which students are learning to speak Spanish or write, or both. Some of the children who come here only speak Miskito (an indigenous languages) when they arrive, so first they must learn Spanish. Class can be hard with disciplinary problems but I am learning how to work along with my students to earn mutual respect in order to reach our goals. It is also really great that I live alongside my students, allowing me to can connect with them outside of the classroom. This way, I can understand the situations they come from and adopt teaching methods that best suit their needs. It’s also great for the boys in my house because they have a live in tutor!
However, we didn’t only study English this week. We learned how to multiply double digits, civic responsibilities and rights, the difference between similes and metaphors and much more. Tuesday night was math night so I brought along a deck of multiplication math cards that I had found in the volunteer house. A few kids were struggling with times tables, so I figured I would try teaching the way I learned; running through decks of flashcards. I started outside with one of my boys and then another joined in. So we made it a game; whoever answered correctly first got the card. At the end the one with the most cards one. Well, it got pretty competitive so we got some spectators. The next game they joined in. And then some more came. And then the older boys in the house paired up with the younger ones in teams. And then the house next door came to check out the raucous and ended up joining in. By the end we had about 15 boys screaming out their multiplication tables and grabbing for the cards they earned. Although at one point I was in the line of some grabbing hands, I couldn’t think  of a better way to break the monotony of studying. They were having so much fun and doing math at the same time, what could make a science nerd like me happier?
However, by Thursday the morals were dropping a bit because of the long week. So I channeled my lovely mother and did what she always did for me when I was younger; lighten the studying with a snack. Now I cannot compare to the gourmet platters of hot chocolate and apples and peanut butter my mother used to bring to me, but I tried. So after dinner I handed out chocolate bars to all the boys as a combination “Good Luck/Keep on Going” snack.
            In other news, I finally tried my hand on macheting! Everyone in the volunteer house has a weekly chore, one of which is gardening. Although it may sound dainty, it consists of cutting the grass/weeding the area around the house with our very own machete. Yes, a machete. I decided to learn how/help out another volunteer who’s turn it was on Friday afternoon. After an hour of awkward arm swings, three popped blisters and a gallon of sweat, I would say it was a success. Along with the other volunteer, I successfully put on a very entertaining show for the girls in the neighboring houses. Although they offered loads of advice and showed me how several times, the success was in the show that I put on rather than the grass I cut. I’m going to give my hands a break this week but will keep you all updated on my “macheteando” skills. Stay tuned.
            Here are some pictures from the celebration of Padre Wasson, the founder of NPH, last weekend. Each house had to make a mural in his honor to enter into a competition. I'll let you judge...
The youngest boys house put on a skit and all dressed up like angels.

My house decided to make a giant W in honor of William Wasson's initials. 

Here is a look at the back of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment