Friday, August 1, 2014

First Week!

¡Buenos dias from Nica!

I am just about done with my first full week here and there is so much to tell! I have not started teaching yet, but rather will be spending the next few weeks orienting myself. So today I’ll just be giving you an overview of life here as well.
            For those of you who still don’t know what Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos is I highly suggest checking out their website and reading up. But if you’re too lazy to read all that, here’s a quick summary…It’s a home for about 300 children in Rivas, Nicaragua that meets all of a child’s needs. I am starting to think of it as a small town because we have an infirmary, priest, psychologists, social workers, physical therapists,  dining hall, market, primary and secondary schools, housing for all kids, soccer fields and fields where all of our food is grown. The children are here because some way or another they cannot be fully taken care of at home. Whether their parents don’t have the money to provide for them, are too sick, or have passed away they are welcome here.
            And boy are they welcome here! There is so much love and care I am overwhelmed at the system they have developed. Each child is assigned to a house of other boys (or girls) of their own age. Then each house has a tia/tio who is the primary adult responsible for them. Then there are a few older kids to help out the tio. Then there is (in about half the houses) a volunteer assigned to just those kids. So there is quite a bit of love going around.
            I was lucky enough to be assigned to “Casa San Jose” which is a boys house ages 9-12 or so. I know what you’re thinking “BOYS? But she’s a girl?” But my boys are amazing and not at all too much to handle.  Yes, it may be the first weeks and they may be on their best behavior but I already love them. I will take some pictures of them and make sure to post them next time!
            Even though I’m not teaching yet, I have gotten into the schedule pretty well. Here’s my daily schedule…Wake up at 6 am and have breakfast with my house at 615 and then stay with them until they go to school at 7:15. When I start teaching, I will go with them and teach until noon but for the next few weeks I am doing other orientation things in the morning. Then I meet with them at noon for lunch and help with homework afterwards. After homework the boys all have chores so I either do more orienting stuff or relax. Then I come back and spend the afternoon with them. This includes anything from teaching ultimate, watching them play soccer, going on a walk or just hanging out at the house. Then we eat dinner at 6:30 and hang out in the house until bedtime at 8. So that’s my typical day, more or less.


Love,

Eliza
The volunteers home. There are 6 of us living in this house. 


I feel like a princess with my mosquito net!

The house of which I am a "madrina", which has a gorgeous view and spacious yard to play.  
Here's a few of my boys after I showed them how to take a selfie. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I would love to hear how they are getting you prepared to teach. Sounds like an interesting process.

    ReplyDelete