Thursday, July 24, 2014

Welcome to my blog...

Hey everyone thanks so much for checking out my blog! I’ll be using this blog over the next 13 months to chronicle my time serving in Rivas, Nicaragua with Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos, a home for orphaned and abandoned children. After graduating from the University of Notre Dame this past May and a long process discerning my called to serve, I realized it is through a combination of grammar, gallo pinto and grace. Now to those who don’t know me too well this may seem like a crazy conglomeration but just let me explain…
I was chosen by the NPH home to serve as an ESL teacher for students in grades K-6. I may have to brush up on my own understanding of English grammar, aka check out the Conjunction Junction and other grammar songs we all watched in elementary school. I am ecstatic that I get to be in the classroom everyday and can only hope to inspire a love of learning as my teachers did for me.  Education truly has the power to open one’s eyes to this amazing world and as well as to countless opportunities.
While abroad I will be living on the orphanage grounds and immersing myself directly in the culture. I cannot wait to learn all about their culture and meet the amazing people with whom I will be working closely. And coming from my family of cooks, I cannot wait to try the food, the staple of which is gallo pinto (aka black beans and rice).
The last and perhaps most important thing my trip will be filled with is grace. This gift from God to help us respond to our vocation as children of God will guide my work, day in and day out. During this year I hope to see even more clearly the grace of God in my life as well as show this grace to the children with whom I will be living. I am going to be a “madrina” to a house of about 20 girls, serving as their mentor and role model. I can only hope to begin to show them the grace with which God fills each and every one of us. 



P.S. Here's my address in case anyone wants to send me a letter :)
Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos
Eliza Herrero
Apartado de correos #29
Jinotepe, Carazo
Nicaragua

1 comment: